Corvallis, Ore. -- Oregon State women's basketball team dominated in their first action of the 2019-2020 season. The Beavers beat Union University 95 - 41.
OSU got off to a slow start in the first quarter, before turning it on in the second. The Beavs outscored Bulldogs 28 -10 in the second quarter. The play then rolled into the second half, where they outscored Union 53 - 27.
Freshman Taylor Jones led the way for the Beavers with 27 points, 12 rebounds, and 5 blocks. The OSU starting backcourt of Mikayla Pivec and Destiny Slocum also had a good night from the field, shooting a combined 50 percent in the game. Slocum recorded 16 points to go along with five assist, while Pivec had 14 points, 9 rebounds, and 4 assist. Jones' fellow freshman, Kennedy Brown also had a great debut for the Beavers tallying 12 points and 7 rebounds.
The biggest difference with the team this season is the depth in the front court, something head coach Scott Rueck said is a staple of the way he likes to run his teams.
"This year there's just a lot more options," he said. "We're bigger overall, and so to get the ball inside it's been what my entire career has been predicated on, it's what we done. And then we play off of that. And so this team is getting back to more like who we are."
Guard Kat Tudor, and forwards Taya Corosdale, and Jelena Mitrovic were all in suit clothes for the game. Foward Andrea Aquino was suited, but was the only player to not see time in the game.
Next, Oregon State will host an exhibition against Concordia on November 1st, at 6 p.m. in Gill Coliseum.
- Oregon State women's basketball cruise to first exhibition win
- No. 6 Oregon women’s basketball cruises past Cal
- Oregon Women's Basketball Wins Pac-12 Tournament
- Oregon women's hoops cruises to win vs. UT-Arlington
- Oregon soccer opens year with exhibition win
- Ducks win exhibition game
- Oregon State Baseball Cruises Past Northwestern (6/1/18)
- Web Extra: Oregon Women's Basketball After First Round Win
- Web Extra: Oregon Women's Basketball Discusses win over Minnesota (3/18/18)
- Web Extra: Oregon State women's basketball after Cal State Bakersfield win (12/29/18)