Corvallis, OR. — The Oregon State men’s basketball team began the day with a win over Iowa State. The women’s team followed in a similar fashion, as Senior Mikayla Pivec and freshman Taylor Jones both went over 20 points as the No. 7 Oregon State women’s basketball team opened the 2019-20 season with a commanding 86-57 win over UC Irvine Saturday night at Gill Coliseum.
“It was great to get the first win,” said Oregon State head coach Scott Rueck. “It’s always a relief to get that first one under your belt, and I was really proud of the team for the way they came out tonight”
Pivec narrowly missed a triple double, going for 25 points, 12 rebounds and eight assists. While Jones finished with 20 points, tied for the third-highest total by a freshman in their debut in program history. She also notched a double-double, pulling down 10 rebounds. Redshirt junior Destiny Slocum was also impressive, scoring 11 points to go with six assists.
Another Beaver who stepped up was junior guard Aleah Goodman, who racked up her first career double-double with 12 points and 10 assists.
Overall, head coach Scott Rueck was pleased with the win, but knows the expectations are sky high for this season.
"We talked about that before the game tonight. Not the ranking necessarily but the expectations. And tonight the journey started,” said Rueck. “We've played seven before tonight, including our Italy tour. But this is the first one that counts. And the only way you deal with that is to focus on the next possession."
The Beavers will host Pacific in the second round of the season-opening tournament on Monday.
- OSU upends UCI to cruise to its first win of the season
- OSU picks up marquee win against UCLA
- OSU holds off Pacific to earn its second win of the season.
- Oregon State women's basketball cruise to first exhibition win
- Oregon women's hoops cruises to win vs. UT-Arlington
- Web Extra: Pat Casey after OSU's Civil War win (5/8/18)
- Web Extra: Cadyn Grenier on OSU win vs. Arkansas (6/27/18)
- Web Extra: Trevor Larnach after OSU win over Arkansas (6/27/18)
- Ems open season with win
- Oregon Cruises in First Round