Corvallis, OR -- Oregon State sweeped the Washington State Cougars in Goss Stadium behind a strong pitching performance from Sunday starter, Grant Gambrell.
A day after a pair of pitches threw over 100 pitches in a 16 inning game, Grambrell pitched 8.1 innings while recording 12 strike out and only giving up 2 hits.
"You know i think that's the best pitching game we've had all year long personally, " said interim head coach, Pat Bailey. "I mean I thought he was absolutely lights out for the entire game. He struggled a little bit the first inning there where he got behind people, but after the first inning, the last seven innings and a third inning that he threw were outstanding."
In the first inning, Gambrell gave up his only two walks of the game to back to back batters before striking out the rest of the side.
"For the first couple of innings I kind of struggled with my fast ball command, but after that I kind of figured it out," said Gambrell. "And I kind of got into myself, kind of put a little pressure on myself and I figured it out towards the end."
OSU's offense produced just enough to get the win, tallying just two points on nine hits in the game. Joe Casey, Troy Claunch, and Andy Armstrong were all (2-4) at the plate.
Next Oregon State will host Gonzaga in a nonconference home game Tuesday at 5:35 p.m. before welcoming in the Oklahoma State Cowboys for a three game series Friday through Sunday.
- OSU shutout Washington State in series sweep
- Beaver Hoops Roundup: OSU sweeps Saturday games
- OSU offense stagnant in loss to Washington
- Web Extra: Pat Casey talks before OSU host Washington in series (3/20/18)
- OSU baseball forces game 3 in World Series Finals
- Web Extra: Mike White on sweeping Stanford series (4/22/18)
- Web Extra: Gwen Svekis on Washington Series (4/25/18)
- Web Extra: Mike White on Washington Series (4/25/18)
- Web Extra: Infielder Spencer Steer talks about upcoming series vs Washington State (4/4/18)
- Hoops Roundup: Oregon hoops sweeps at home, OSU falls on the road.