Corvallis, Ore. -- Oregon State linebacker Andrzej Hughes-Murray, safety Kee Whetzel, secondary coach Blue Adams and defensive coordinator Tim Tibesar speaks with the media on day three of fall camp.
The Beavers used pads during practice for the first time in camp Saturday. It marked the final day of the first week of camp, as OSU will have Sunday off before returning to the practice field Monday.
With the addition of pads came a lot of excitement, as players were able to fulfill their desire for true contact on the gridirion; however it also resulted in some chippy play as well.
Through the first couple of days of fall camp, the defense has shown flashes and huge improvements from a season ago. The unit has only given up one touchdown in camp so far. The players and coaches said they're playing a lot more physical this year, which they attribute to their strength and conditioning team and the time they have put in the weight room. Their play so far has align closely with the goals the coaches have set for their play this upcoming season.
"I think if we went in to camp, we said three things was we wanted you know to get better at run defense, create more takeaways, and apply more pressure on the quarterback, said coach Tibesar. "So that's right up there with our run defense. You know we've had a major emphasis on takeaways since I got here. And we just got to keep drilling it and everything like that, and trust the process that as you apply more and more pressure on the football it's going to bounce your way."
Oregon State will host Oklahoma State in week one on August 30th, at 7:30 p.m. in Reser Stadium.
- OSU holds first practice in pads
- OSU football begin spring practices
- First padded practice for Oregon football is in the bag
- Web Extra: Mario Cristobal talks before Duck's 1st full pads practice (3/10/18)
- OSU to hold draft for spring game
- OSU holds first day of fall camp
- Beavers hold second practice in Reser Stadium
- Web Extra: OSU Offensive Coordinator Brian Lindgren after Spring Practice (4/9/18)
- OSU shifts practice to Reser for the first time this fall camp
- Ducks begin preseason practice