Salt Lake City, UT. -- Oregon State, a winner in 10 of 12 games during its non conference schedule, opened Pac-12 play with an 81-69 loss to the Utah Utes on Thursday night in Salt Lake City.
The Beavers, offensively, showed signs of dominance. They scored 16 points off 11 Utah turnovers. Oregon state forward Tres Tinkle scored a team-high 19 points and collected six rebounds. Guards Zach Riechle and Ethan Thompson combined for an additional 30 points. However, OSU could not overcome its own lengthy scoring droughts and struggled to defend in transition.
The Beavers endured a seven-minute stretch during the first half when they missed seven straight shots. It opened the door for Utah to rally from an early 13-7 deficit and earn a conference victory in front of a home crowd.
Oregon State travels to Boulder to face Colorado on Sunday at 3:00 p.m.
Boulder, CO. -- The Oregon men’s basketball became college basketball's latest victim in a season that has been highlighted by top-five teams losing to unranked opponents. The No. 4 ranked Ducks opened Pac-12 play with a 74-65 loss to Colorado, which is the ninth win by an unranked team over a top-five program this year.
Oregon guard Payton Pritchard scored a team-high 21 points. However, it was the Ducks’ shooting that hindered their ability to sustain a manageable lead and win the game on the road. Oregon was 3-of-18 from three-point range, which is the second fewest made deep balls this season.
Colorado’s McKinley Wright IV scored 11 of his 21 points in the final 5 minutes to help the Buffaloes improve to 9-0 all-time against the Ducks in Boulder.
Oregon will face Utah Saturday at 2:00 p.m.
- Hoops Roundup: Ducks and Beavers struggle in their conference openers
- Duck, Beaver Roundup
- Hoops Roundup: Ducks, Beavers open desert trip with losses
- Hoops Roundup: Ducks win, Beavers lose in southern road games
- Women's Hoops Roundup: Ducks drill Bruins, Beavers upset by Trojans
- Softball Roundup: Ducks, Beavers fall at home
- Beaver Hoops Roundup: OSU sweeps Saturday games
- Hoops Roundup: Ducks, Beavs suffer road losses
- Hoops Roundup: Ducks defend home court, Beavers lose in double-overtime (1/20/19)
- Women’s Hoops Roundup: Ducks set record, Beavers rally late (2/3/19)