EUGENE, Ore. -- Eugene is set to host the 2020 U.S. Olympic Team Trials for track and field, USA Track & Field announced Thursday.
More than 1,000 Olympic hopefuls will compete at Hayward Field for the right to represent the United States at the 2020 Olympic Games in Tokyo.
“This is an exciting day for the City of Eugene,” Mayor Lucy Vinis said. “We have a long track record of holding world-class sporting events. The 2020 Olympic Trials will only build on this legacy while showcasing our beautiful city and sharing the sport with our passionate track and field fans.”
Eugene City Manager Jon Ruiz said TrackTown USA and the University of Oregon attract some of the world’s best athletes and events to Eugene.
“It truly takes a community to host these types of events, from the organizers to the volunteers,” Ruiz said. “We’re fortunate to have so many dedicated people who are committed to bringing world-class track and field meets to Eugene.”
This will be the fourth consecutive time the trials will be held in Eugene.The city has hosted six times overall, most recently in 2016.
“We are thrilled that the University of Oregon will serve as the host for our fourth consecutive U.S. Olympic Team Trials," said athletic director Rob Mullens, "Our dedicated staff and passionate fans will once again deliver a first-class event which is so special to our community. We look forward to hosting the nation’s best athletes in our beautiful new Hayward Field, and we know the efforts of so many will reinforce why Eugene is truly TrackTown, USA.”
The trials will be the first major event in the new Hayward Field once the redesign is completed.
Ruiz said the trials will kick off a new chapter for the field and help the community prepare for the 2021 World Outdoor Championships, the largest sporting event in the world that year.
“We’re working on a lot of exciting ways to share Eugene with the world in 2021, and the Olympic Trials is just another great opportunity to help us prepare and reach that goal,” Vinis said.
- Hayward Field to host 2020 Olympic Trials
- Hayward Field progressing ahead of 2020 Pac-12 Championships
- UO announces massive renovation to Hayward Field
- Web Extra: Robert Johnson on Upcoming Weekend, Hayward Field Renovations (4/24/18)
- Ducks reflect on the history of Hayward Field and the future of the program
- North and South Korea set to combine for Tokyo 2020 and co-host 2032 Olympics
- Eugene loses 2019, 2020 bids for NCAA Track & Field Championships
- Tokyo 2020: Team USA predicted to have another bumper Olympics
- Roger Federer wants to compete at Tokyo 2020 Olympics
- Despite cancellation, Special Olympics program hosts own event