Corvallis, OR. -- Fresh off an impressive, thrilling Civil War victory, the Oregon State men’s basketball team is looking as sharp as its been all season long. OSU dominated the final 17 minutes of the contest, outscoring the Ducks 33-13 to erase a 10-point deficit and win its third consecutive Civil War.
Saturday was not the only stunning performance from the Beavers, however. Oregon State (14-9, 4-7) has beaten the Pac-12’s top four teams in Arizona, Colorado, Oregon and Stanford. So the Beavers have proven they can not only hang with the best, they can beat the best.
“The thing with us is energy,” said junior guard Ethan Thompson. “We just have to bring the same energy and focus we did preparing for last week’s games to both the games this week. I think we should have a positive outcome if we do that.”
This week OSU will look for its first conference sweep of the season.
“It’s a big challenge. We haven’t won consecutive games in league,” said head coach Wayne Tinkle. “We’ve had big wins and not followed it up. We talked in film yesterday about validating last Saturday’s win this Thursday night. Let’s keep the momentum going by preparing the way we’ve prepared. And being ready for the 40 minute battle both mentally and physically.”
Offensively is where a majority of OSU’s struggles can be drawn from. Over the last seven games, the Beavers have shot 23.9 percent from three-point range. In today’s age of basketball where teams go on massive runs from draining deep balls, that statistic is not ideal.
But when Oregon State can rally behind a relentless effort on defense, similar to what was displayed against the Ducks, there will always be an opportunity to win games. During the final 17 minutes, Oregon scored only six buckets.
Beavers will host Colorado Thursday night at 7:00 p.m.
- Beavers search for their first conference sweep of the season.
- Beaver Hoops Roundup: OSU sweeps Saturday games
- Beavers get the sweep at Jane Sanders Stadium
- Hoops Roundup: Ducks and Beavers struggle in their conference openers
- Beavers Release Wrestling Schedule
- Duck, Beaver Roundup
- OSU outlasts Colorado to earn first conference sweep of the season
- Web Extra: Pat Casey before the Beavers season opener (2/13/18)
- Beavers ease into second bye week of season
- Baseball Roundup: Ducks sweep the Lions, Beavers drop series finale against WVU (3/3/19)