Eugene & Corvallis, OR. -- Get the brooms out in Eugene because the Oregon baseball team got the sweep over the LMU Lions after Sunday’s 7-6 comeback victory.
Loyola Marymount took a 6-5 lead in the top of the seventh with a pair of runs off Oregon reliever Brett Walker. However, the Ducks showed some offensive resilience by scoring two runs of their own to regain the lead. Junior shortstop Spencer Steer delivered a two-out RBI single, scoring freshman Sam Novitske from second to tie the game. One batter later, sophomore Johnny DeLuca scored the eventual winning run on a LMU balk.
“We got a lot of confidence in our lineup. We know one through nine, we got really good hitter up and down the order,” said Steer. “We know we can come back and we know we have the offense to do it. So that was a good win for sure.”
Up in Corvallis, it was a different narrative. The defending NCAA National Champions won the series against West Virginia but failed to win the Sunday’s series finale, losing 2-0. The Beavers were getting no hit by the Mountaineers until Beau Philip hit a single up the middle. Philip’s 2-for-4 batting production was about as hot as OSU was on offense all day.
“We had the five double plays. That's your ball game right there,” said OSU head coach Pat Bailey. “Some of it had to do with swing decisions. some of it, it's just baseball. A couple of them were hit pretty hard. Three of them were balls, early in the count, down in the zone pitches we shouldn't be swinging at. We got to improve offensively.”
Oregon’s next game will be against Portland on Tuesday night at 5:00. Oregon State will make the trip up north to the Seattle Baseball Showcase starting Friday at T-Mobile Park.
- Baseball Roundup: Ducks sweep the Lions, Beavers drop series finale against WVU (3/3/19)
- Duck, Beaver Roundup
- Baseball Roundup: Beavs, Ducks sweep doubleheader
- Baseball Roundup: Ducks, Beavs drop road games
- Baseball Roundup: Ducks, Beavs drop home games
- Baseball Roundup: Beavs top WVU in home opener, Ducks hold off LMU
- Women’s Hoops Roundup: Ducks go back-to-back, Beavers hold on to win in the desert (3/3/19)
- Baseball Roundup: Ducks win double-header in Salt Lake City, Beavers sweep the Huskies
- Softball Roundup: Ducks, Beavers fall at home
- Beavers Drop Opening CWS Final Game