OREGON -- Supporters of Measure 106 and their opponents are making their voices heard as Election Day draws closer.
Oregon is one of 17 states that use public money for abortions, and patients include low-income women, state workers and anyone who gets their health care through the state.
YOUR VOICE, YOUR VOTE:
SPRINGFIELD ROADS BOND:
4J SCHOOL BOND:
A "yes" vote would put an end to that source of funding for abortions.
Voting "no" means that public funding would continue to be used, maintaining the status quo.
Cindy Brunk, a pro-life advocate and author, said she hasn't supported a political measure in 20 years and said her own experience with abortion is making her support the measure.
"I believe this is grabbing back and taking away the state's involvement on a very personal, divisive subject," Brunk said. "Anyone who believes that life begins at conception is either unaware or I think amiss on not voting yes for this."
Chelsea Jennings, the statewide field director for the No on 106 campaign, who also works for Planned Parenthood, said every woman in the state should be able to decide when to become a parent, regardless of their income or how they are insured.
"It's going to disproportionately affect low-income women who are already struggling to make ends meet here in Oregon," Jennings said.
Jennings said they're living paycheck to paycheck, and an unexpected expense is a hardship.
According to the state, Oregon spends $2.9 million a year on abortions.
If Measure 106 passes, they estimate spending will actually go up because of a projected increase in births and the cost of corresponding health care.
Stay with KEZI 9 News leading up to the election and on Election Day for the latest about the races and measures that matter to you. Watch KEZI 9 News at 4, 5 and 6 and 11 p.m. on Nov. 6 and follow KEZI on Facebook and Twitter.
- Your Voice, Your Vote: Measure 106 - Abortion Funding
- Springfield resident turns 106
- Your Voice, Your Vote: Measure 20-290 - STAR Voting
- Your Voice, Your Vote: Measure 102 - Affordable Housing
- Your Voice, Your Vote: Measure 105 - Sanctuary State
- Your Voice, Your Vote: Measure 103 - Grocery Tax Ban
- Your Voice, Your Vote: Measure 104 - Raising Revenue
- Measure funds revival of woodshop at Roseburg schools
- Supporters, opponents rally as Measure 101 vote nears
- Your voice, your vote - Elections are almost here