Photo Gallery 19 Images
Eugene, Ore. -- It was a good Friday night for the Oregon and Oregon State women's basketball teams, who both got wins over the visiting Arizona schools. The Ducks led off, beating Arizona State 77-71 in a matchup that tightened up towards the end. Up in Corvallis, it was the exact opposite. The Beavers pulled away in the fourth quarter to earn an 86-64 win.
Oregon led by as much as 13 points in the third quarter, but the Sun Devils slowly chipped away at that lead, narrowing the margin to only two points in the final minute. Two free throws from forward Satou Sabally pushed the Duck lead out to four with 16 seconds remaining, while guard Sabrina Ionescu added two more after being intentionally fouled with eight seconds to play. Ionescu led the way with a dominant 31 point performance, with 5 rebounds to go along with it. Guard Maite Cazorla and forward Ruthy Hebard each contributed an additional 16 and 14 points, respectively, as the Ducks shot 50 percent from the field.
Oregon State rallied in the second half to turn what was a close game into a blowout. The Wildcats led the Beavers in the second quarter, and were tied with 3:55 left in the first half. But a 13-2 run for OSU to go into the break meant a momentum shift in the third period. From there, the Beavers never led by less than double digits. Guard Destiny Slocum was the difference maker, as she has been for most of Pac-12 play, scoring 19 points in the second half to finish with 24 on the day. She was also lifted by forward Taya Corosdale and guard Mickayla Pivec's combined 28 points as well as guard Katie McWilliams' 11.
Both teams will swap opponents heading into Sunday. The Ducks will take on the Wildcats at Matthew Knight Arena at 12 p.m., while te Beavers face the Sun Devils at Gill Coliseum at 2 p.m.
- Women's Hoops Roundup: Ducks, Beavs win at home
- Hoops Roundup: Ducks, Beavs suffer road losses
- Women's Hoops Roundup: Ducks, Beavs upset by Washington
- Baseball Roundup: Ducks, Beavs drop home games
- Hoops Roundup: Ducks fall to Buffs, Beavs take down Utes
- Baseball Roundup: Beavs, Ducks sweep doubleheader
- Baseball Roundup: Beavs, Ducks come up short
- Baseball Roundup: Beavs, Ducks both fall
- Baseball Roundup: Beavs, Ducks get swept
- Baseball Roundup: Ducks, Beavs drop road games