EUGENE, Ore. – A Eugene woman is suing six businesses and one man for $30 million, after a crash in November left her a complete paraplegic.
Court documents show the crash happened on November 2, 2017. It said Evelyn Allen got into a car that Travis Simonis was driving while he was drunk, when he crashed into a home near North Bertelsen and Roosevelt Road. It said that crash left her a complete paraplegic.
According to court documents, Simonis' blood alcohol content was at .27, more than three times the legal limit. He pleaded guilty to assault and DUII in February.
Court papers said before the crash, Simonis was drinking at Shooters, Brew and Cue, Don Juan, the Keg, O’Donnell's Irish Pub and the Overtime Tavern. Each were named in the lawsuit and are accused of serving Simonis alcohol, even though he was "visibly intoxicated."
The lawsuit said he was overserved, and it was a factor in the crash that led to Allen’s injuries.
KEZI called all the businesses named in the lawsuit. None of them wanted to comment, except Rudy Mejia, from Don Juan. He said they have no idea who the woman is and doesn't recall seeing her. He also said it sounds like she repeatedly put her life in danger by getting into the car with someone who was intoxicated from establishment to establishment. Mejia said none of their employees recognized her or the man she was with.
KEZI reached out to Allen’s attorney, but he did not respond. KEZI also reached out to Simonis, but said he had no comment.
- Woman sues 6 businesses after drunk driving crash
- Man arrested for drunk driving after Lebanon crash
- Alleged drunk driver crashes into Roseburg YMCA
- Man arrested for allegedly driving drunk and crashing into Lebanon house
- Springfield students experience drunk and distracted driving simulator
- Deputies: Jennifer Hart was drunk while driving SUV off cliff
- Woman sues Eugene doctor for malpractice
- Alleged drunk driver crashes into home in Douglas County
- Tigard police officer critically injured in crash involving drunk driver
- Police: Drunk driver involved in late-night crash