PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) A woman has pleaded not guilty to charges of selling dried shark fins in a Portland store.
Oregon Public Broadcasting reports 52-year-old Agnes Yu of Happy Valley is charged with four misdemeanor counts of selling dried shark fins at Wing Ming Herbs in southeast Portland. She pleaded not guilty. A court hearing is scheduled later this month.
Shark fins are often used in a traditional Chinese soup. In 2011, the Oregon Legislature passed a bill prohibiting the possession or sale of shark fins in the state.
Oregon State Police say an estimated 100 million sharks are killed globally each year for their fins.
- Woman pleads not guilty to selling shark fins in Portland
- Homeless man pleads guilty in death of Portland woman
- Woman pleads guilty to manslaughter
- Oregon man pleads guilty to selling counterfeit rifle optics online
- 74-year-old woman pleads guilty to manslaughter
- Pet of the Week: Fin
- Portland man pleads guilty in attempt to pay ICE agent to deport wife
- Man police say fired gun at Portland International Airport pleads not guilty
- Bend murder suspect pleads guilty