EUGENE, Ore. -- A 58-year-old woman is dead after a stabbing that happened at a home in North Bend on Monday night, and the woman's daughter is being charged with the crime.
Alexis Marie Berquist, 25, was taken into custody at the location of the incident and now faces a second-degree murder charge in the death of her mother, Ramona Matthews.
The stabbing happened around 7:40 p.m. on Ash Street in North Bend. Paramedics tried to save Matthews' life, but she was pronounced dead at the scene with multiple stab wounds. An autopsy is scheduled for later this week.
Many neighbors told KEZI 9 News that Berquist struggled with mental health issues. They said they've seen Berquist sleep outside, ask neighbors for food and act "homeless."
"(Matthews) had restraining orders against her at some times because there would be violence involved," said Steven Skinner, a friend of Matthews. "Sometimes she would let the daughter live with her, sometimes she wouldn’t.”
However, Skinner also said Matthews was aware of her daughter's illness and she did everything she could to help her daughter get better.
Berquist is expected for her first court appearance on Thursday at 8:30 a.m.
Anyone with information is asked to contact the North Bend Police Department at 541-756-3161.
- North Bend woman charged in mother's stabbing death
- North Bend woman killed; estranged husband charged with murder
- Good samaritan returns North Bend woman's purse
- North Bend woman killed in crash on Highway 101
- Woman dies in two-vehicle crash near North Bend
- Five teens injured in North Bend crash
- Couple arrested in North Bend arson, burglary
- Poverty simulation coming to North Bend
- Two-A-Days: North Bend Bulldogs
- Robbery suspect arrested in North Bend