EUGENE, Ore. -- Witnesses are speaking out after a man was allegedly attacked and slashed off River Road in Eugene Saturday afternoon.
Cameron Word works at the Action Rent-All and he says he sprung into action when he heard his coworkers screaming for help after a man had allegedly been slashed across the chest and arm.
"I was just trying to keep a level head and just try to do what everyone was telling me to just to help out," said Word.
Other first-hand witnesses said if it had not been for Word's quick actions - the man may not have survived.
"I had just went over there to see what I could do to help and I just happened to be the only person with a belt on so I had given my belt so they could make a tourniquet and stop the blood," Word continued.
This all happened around 4 p.m. Saturday when police responded to calls that a man had been slashed.
Police say they got a call of a dispute involving one man who was armed.
Officials tell KEZI 9 News the conflict was over a shopping cart.
Authorities say the dispute then turned violent when one man armed with what police say was an axe or machete started slashing the other near his chest and left arm.
Police said the suspect left the scene before they arrived.
Word and his coworkers said they have been shaken up since the incident, but are trying their best to move forward.
"I just try and keep it from affecting my every day," he said. "It was a horrible thing to happen and hopefully it doesn't happen again, but I just try to keep moving on."
Police have not confirmed whether or not the suspect in the alleged slashing is in custody.
- Witnesses speak out after alleged slashing
- Deadly Creswell plane crash witness speaks out
- Slash burns planned near Tiller
- Neighbors speak out about witnessing a dog attack
- Witness speaks out after shooting near University of Oregon's campus
- Witnesses speak out after baby involved in stolen-vehicle crash
- Police identify man arrested in slashing
- Eugene businesses speak out after alleged threat at dance club
- Slash piles to be burned in Coos County
- Oregon man accused of slashing another man in face, neck