Photo Gallery 1 Images
SPRINGFIELD, Ore. -- One Elmira man is facing several charges, accused of kidnapping his ex-girlfriend and leading police on a wild pursuit throughout Springfield.
Police said 35-year-old Hayes Matthew Herbert crashed his truck into a metal gate outside of a home on the 200 Block of 20th Street early Saturday morning. They said he then kicked down the door to the home, assaulted a woman, and dragged her by her hair forcing her into his truck.
Police said a little later, a witness called them about an injured woman who was running near the 400 Block of 21st Street. They said the injured woman told them Herbert was beating her while he was driving. Police then followed a trail of car parts and found Herbert’s truck unoccupied, and damaged near Whitworth Lane and 28th Street.
KEZI spoke to the man who initially found the woman staggering and bloody. He said he immediately called the police and started chasing after Herbert.
"When we stopped, she said that somebody just beat her and we asked her if she needed food or water and to get in the car, make sure she was safe,” said Jeremiah Taylor. “She said the gentleman across the road had done it. I was like “hey sir” and he immediately started running and I immediately dialed 9-1-1 and ran after him and chased him 8 or 9 blocks on the phone giving them directions until the police got up to him."
Police said around 8 a.m. Saturday morning Herbert ran into the Gridiron Tap House on Main Street and locked himself in one of the bathrooms. They said Herbert fought with police when they were trying to arrest him.
Herbert is facing several charges that include kidnapping, hit and run and resisting arrest.
Police said the woman involved in the kidnapping is expected to be okay.
- Wild chase ends in kidnapping arrest
- Police chase ends in Springfield arrest
- Two arrested after police chase through Eugene ends in Springfield
- Bureau of Land Management ends plan to sterilize wild horses
- Driver arrested after police chase in Eugene
- Man arrested after police chase in Springfield
- Man arrested after police chase in Eugene
- Girl safe after being kidnapped and in high-speed chase in Portland
- Police: Corvallis man arrested for suffocating and kidnapping woman
- Police arrest two in Cottage Grove carjacking, kidnapping