UPDATE: School will be back in session on Thursday in the North Bend School District, after police said a 12-year-old girl admitted to writing the threat.
Police said graffiti was found in the middle school in a stall in the 6th grade girl's bathroom that said "school shooting tomorrow... BE READY!" A student told a substitute teacher and the teacher reported it to school administrators.
Police said they honed in on a 12-year-old middle school girl, using witness statements, surveillance video, interviews and handwriting comparison. They interviewed the girl Wednesday afternoon in the presence of her parents and she confessed to writing the message.
Police said they're working with the district attorney and mental health counselors to determine the most appropriate course of action. The student has no access to weapons and her parents have been cooperative.
Police said the student has reported the threat was not credible.
NORTH BEND, Ore. -- All classes in all North Bend public schools are canceled on Wednesday following an anonymous shooting threat discovered in the district's middle school.
According to a press release issued at 10 p.m. Tuesday, the North Bend police were notified of the threat at 3:25 p.m. Earlier in the day a threat had been reported to the North Bend Middle School administration, according to Chief Robert Kappelman.
The threatening message was found written on the wall of a bathroom stall in the sixth grade girl's bathroom, Kappelman said. The graffiti warned: "School shooting tomorrow...BE READY!!!"
Investigators interviewed several witnesses, police said, and several hours of video surveillance were reviewed. However, the person responsible for writing the threat could not be identified.
Kappelman said it was the district's decision to cancel classes on Wednesday, citing children's safety.
- Police: 12-year-old admits to North Bend threat
- North Bend police respond to report of school threat
- Game officials, Bend police track, kill cougar deemed threat
- Police respond to report of threat at North Bend High School
- Good samaritan returns North Bend woman's purse
- Five teens injured in North Bend crash
- Couple arrested in North Bend arson, burglary
- Poverty simulation coming to North Bend
- Teen arrested following threat to shoot Bend students
- Police: Bend robbery suspect impersonated officer