Photo Gallery 3 Images
EUGENE, Ore. -- A viral social media post from the Midwest has caused concern for some parents at Sheldon High School.
The confusion stems from the initials "SHS." In the Facebook post, a person writes that there will be a shooting at SHS tomorrow, referring to a school in Ohio.
Some parents thought the message was a warning to Sheldon.
Sheldon Interim Principal Mark Watson sent an email to parents on Wednesday night, saying:
"There is a viral post spreading across social media tonight (Wednesday) of a screenshot from a person named "Ray Andes" indicating there is going to be a school shooting at "SHS" tomorrow. This is reportedly a nation-wide post that originated in Ohio with the intent of spreading fear in each school across our nation with the acronym of "SHS".
There is NO CREDIBLE THREAT to Sheldon HS. We want to reassure all parents that the safety of our students is our first priority. Tomorrow the Eugene Police Department and the Eugene School District will take additional precautions to help ensure the safety of our students and to spread the word about the reported hoax."
Parents at Springfield High School and Siuslaw High School have also expressed concern.
Lt. Scott Mckee with the Springfield Police Department warned against these kinds of posts. He said they check social media frequently, as they know, especially with high school kids, it can be a useful tool.
He said in regards to these kinds of things, please don't hesitate to report threats you find concerning, but if you know something has been disproven, try not to spread it more. He said that makes it harder to squash.
"Be persistent, be diligent. At the same time, as best as you can, avoid sharing information that you suspect has already been dealt with and may be just rumor," said Lt. Mckee.
- Fake post causes concerns for Sheldon parents
- Two-A-Days: Sheldon
- Police contact man who raised concerns at Sheldon High School
- Whooping Cough Outbreak at Sheldon High School
- Blitzing the Preseason: Sheldon High School
- PHOTO GALLERY: Jesuit defeats Sheldon 36-32
- City councilors consider making road near Sheldon High School safer
- Sheldon High School neighbors upset over students' mess
- Sheldon High School brings football camp to disabled students
- Special needs students learn about football with Sheldon team