VENETA, Ore. -- A family in Veneta is racing against the clock to raise enough money to save their dog, Copper, who they said was hit by a vehicle and left for dead in a ditch by their house July 2.
The Shay family said the dog needs surgeries and medication, adding up to thousands of dollars.
Athena Shay said she put Copper in their fenced backyard when she left for work that Monday. Around 8:30 a.m., she got a call from her neighbor saying that Copper had been hit by a truck.
According to Oregon law, if a driver hits and injures a domestic animal, such as a dog, they must stop and determine the nature of the injuries and give attention to the animal. They must also immediately report the incident to the owner.
Shay said she understands accidents happen but is frustrated the driver didn’t try to help. She and her family are heartbroken, she said.
“Like any little fur baby, he’s one of our guys, one of our kids,” Shay said. “He’s kind of more my daughter’s dog. She’s been attached to the hip to him.”
Shay said Copper has air in his chest cavity, nerve damage in his front leg which will need to be amputated and his back leg was shattered in three places.
The family has a GoFundMe page to raise the $8,000 needed to cover Copper’s treatment. They said they need about $4,000 down before the surgery can be done.
"I just really appreciate all the support we've gotten," Shay said. "It does mean a lot when something tragic happens to have people around show they care and are supportive."
- Veneta family races against clock to save dog
- Veneta family recovering after horrific rollover crash
- Dog hit, left for dead in Veneta undergoes lifesaving surgeries
- Two Veneta families displaced in overnight house fires
- Deputies investigating vandalism reports in Veneta area
- House under construction catches fire in Veneta
- Veneta man arrested after standoff with police
- Veneta teen heads to Junior National Finals Rodeo
- Veneta woman arrested, accused of intimate relationship with minor
- Two arrested after deputies serve search warrant at Veneta home