EUGENE, Ore. - The University of Oregon Police Department (UOPD) will be holding a Pepper Spray Familiarization Class on Thursday and Friday from 4 to 5 p.m.
The classes will be held at the UOPD building on 15th & Walnut in Eugene.
Officers said it's important for anyone considering owning pepper spray to have these skills so that they can avoid things like injuring themselves in the process of using it or not being able to use it correctly.
"Those types of things, if you're not prepared for it, can really increase the stress of the situation," said Sgt. Jared Davis with UOPD.
Davis said this is just one class in the series of self-defense classes they're putting on at the moment in the wake of all the crime going on near campus.
Anyone wanting to take part can sign up on the Facebook event here, or give them a call at (541) 346-2919.
- UOPD will hold pepper spray instruction class
- NCU property invaded; man pepper sprayed
- Police: Man robs Eugene taco shop, pepper-sprays employee
- Video shows mail carrier routinely pepper spraying dog
- Man allegedly pepper sprays 9 people on Oregon bus
- Bomb detecting police dog joins UOPD
- UOPD gets new equipment to better prepared for emergencies
- UOPD: Use caution as busy weekend nears for Ducks
- UOPD: 2 serious crimes involving students near campus
- UOPD releases bodycam footage from controversial incident in May