SPRINGFIELD, Ore. -- Two women are in custody Saturday morning after leading police on a car chase through Springfield and into Eugene late Friday night.
The pursuit began after a Springfield police officer tried to stop Sherri Vigil and Candise Hernandez, in the Gateway area, for failing to stop for a traffic light.
The driver of the vehicle didn't yield and continued northbound on Gateway Street, out of the Springfield city limits and into Eugene.
Officers lost the vehicle as they entered the University of Oregon campus, but then assisting officers located the suspect vehicle in an alleyway off of East 16th Avenue near Mill Street.
Vigil and Hernandez then jumped out of the car and started running.
"They fled on foot is what it appeared to be, so we utilized our K9 unit, and K9 Gryff started tracking their scent," said Sgt. Mike Massey, of the Springfield Police Department.
K9 Gryff led officers on a short track to a nearby residence. Vigil and Hernandez were hiding in the upstairs attic area.
After brief negotiations with Vigil and Hernandez, who had barricaded themselves in the attic, they came out and were taken into custody.
Both women were transported to the Lane County Jail.
Vigil is facing charges for reckless endangering, reckless driving, and attempting to elude officers while Hernandez is facing fugitive charges out of Utah.
Neighbors in the Gateway area where the chase began say they have encountered some close calls, but say things are quiet for the most part.
"I think I've almost been hit a couple times, but I think that was more from people really not really paying attention," said Jailee Binford, a neighbor who lives nearby.
- Two women in custody after Springfield car chase
- High-speed chase starting in Springfield leaves one man in custody
- Springfield police chase suspect to Eugene neighborhood
- Police chase ends in Springfield arrest
- Man arrested after police chase in Springfield
- Suspects apprehended after police chase in Springfield
- Springfield police cars cleared of Ford recall
- Officials investigating fatal car crash in Springfield
- Police investigate car fire in Springfield
- Car catches fire inside Springfield garage