SPRINGFIELD, Ore. -- Two people were taken to the hospital after a house fire in Springfield Wednesday morning.
Eugene-Springfield Fire responded to the home on Partridge Way around 7 a.m.
Officials said three people were able to escape, with two of them transported to the hospital for smoke inhalation.
George Wytoski, who lives across the street, said he saw the woman who lives in the home as she tried to rescue her husband who uses a wheelchair.
"Her face was all black. Her hair was singed and she was having a hard time breathing but did say she was trying to get her husband out, and the fire department was helping her," Wytoski said.
The cause of the fire was a power strip that was concealed behind a couch and either failed or overheated and lit the couch on fire. Firefighters estimate the damage at $80,000.
- Springfield fire under investigation
- Fire sparks at Emergency Veterinary Hospital in Springfield
- Two taken to hospital after fire in Springfield
- Springfield house a total loss after fire; one hospitalized
- Batmobile makes stop at hospital in Springfield
- Fire rips through Springfield home
- Vehicles catch fire in Springfield
- Springfield home destroyed by fire
- Fire damages three Springfield homes
- Fire crews battle field fire in Springfield