CORVALLIS, Ore. -- Oregon State University is in the middle of a racial controversy after tweets alleging a racial incident at a basketball game on Sunday.
In tweets that have since been deleted, Minyon Moore, a University of Southern California basketball player, alleged someone in the crowd yelled racial slurs when USC played Oregon State in Corvallis on Sunday.
Steve Clark, OSU Vice President, said the university is now working with officials from USC to investigate.
The Corvallis Gazette-Times took a screenshot of the tweets before they were deleted. The first one reads:
"Oregon State fans calling us N***** after the end of the game great sportsmanship."
Then in a later tweet, Moore added:
“Oregon state thinks they have the best fans. ... no you have racist fans. Calling players “you black girls”, “black b****” and “you n******” is unacceptable. @Pac12Network @pac12 you need to address this @BeaverWBB.”
This is just the latest incident of racism on OSU's campus.
In January, Andrew Oswalt, an OSU student, was arrested for criminal mischief after allegedly putting racist bumper stickers on cars.
Clark said OSU does not tolerate racism, harassment or actions against individuals. He also said the university is working to facilitate a respectful and constructive conversation about the incidents on campus.
"Those slurs that come out of their mouth, or whatever comes out of their mouth, is kind of dangerous to who we are as a school and what we can be in terms of being better," James Duncan, an OSU student said. "I feel like those types of people are just holding us back, but you know it is just something we need to learn from and educate people that it's not cool to do that.
Other students on campus echoed Duncan's sentiment and said there has been pushback from the student body regarding these incidents and that they are never okay. Duncan said the university has been doing a good job dealing with the incidents, but can still work to become more inclusive.
- Tweets allege racial controversy at OSU
- CAUGHT ON CAMERA: Viral arrest near OSU causes stir over alleged racial bias
- NAACP reacts to President Trump's controversial tweets
- Controversial OSU student runs for student office after arrest
- OSU announces new names for 3 buildings after controversy
- Former OSU student pleads guilty in tweet-threat case
- Construction resumes on OSU facility
- OSU falls short against Stanford
- Cottage Grove armory sparks controversy
- Former OSU wrestling coach suing school