SWEET HOME, Ore. -- Fish and Wildlife Division troopers arrested a convicted felon for multiple wildlife offenses and possession of weapons after serving search warrants on his Sweet Home residence.
The troopers, from the Mid-Valley Team, received information that Nathan J. Rice, 40, was in possession of multiple firearms and wildlife parts associated with two illegally-killed buck deer.
Rice is on post-prison supervision and is currently serving a lifetime hunting suspension.
The search yielded eight firearms, many fully loaded, and multiple sets of trophy black-tailed deer and elk antlers. Troopers seized the firearms, antlers and game meat.
Rice was lodged at the Linn County Jail on a parole violation detainer and issued criminal citations, including eight counts of possession of firearm by a felon, 17 counts of take/possession of buck deer, two counts of take/possession of bull elk, lend/borrow big game tag, exceeding bag limit of game mammal, and aiding in a wildlife offense.
Additional suspects and charges are pending further investigation.
A violation of any provision of the wildlife laws is a Class A midsdemeanor if the offense is committed with a culpable mental state in Oregon. If convicted, a person can be charged with the maximum penalty of $6,250, have their hunting privileges suspended and forfeit weapons or other items used to commit the crimes.
Anyone with information regarding wildlife violations should report the details to the Oregon State Police Turn in Poacher hotline at 1-800-452-7888, and the information can remain anonymous.
- Troopers arrest felon for wildlife offenses in Sweet Home
- OSP trooper honored in Sweet Home
- Sweet Home Police make identity theft arrest
- Cougar killed in Sweet Home
- Sweet Home mother arrested for alleged child abuse
- 8 people arrested in Sweet Home drug bust
- Two arrested, two others sought in Sweet Home vehicle theft
- Sweet Home police arrest teen in connection with school threat
- Man arrested after fatal shooting in Sweet Home
- Police investigate crash in Sweet Home