ROSEBURG, Ore. -- A transient stole a backpack with a firearm in it from Roseburg High School Tuesday night, school officials said.
School officials said the suspect was trespassing and took the backpack from an employee’s closet at about 6:15 p.m. Police reviewed security footage and identified the suspect.
Hope Shaw, 39, of Roseburg was arrested near the Washington Street Bridge. Roseburg police said when officers were approaching her, she dropped the firearm and one of the magazines that had been in the backpack over the bridge into the water.
On Wednesday, the search and rescue team found the gun in the river.
Shaw faces charges of first-degree theft, second-degree burglary, felon in possession of a firearm and tampering with physical evidence.
The superintendent of Roseburg Public Schools, Lee Paterson, said the doors to the school are locked during the school day and they're not sure why the door was unlocked.
He said the employee was not a teacher, and they'll meet with the employee to get an explanation about why the gun was in the locker.
School officials said the district has a strong prohibition against firearms on campus and human resources will address any possible personnel issues. Roseburg Public Schools will be reviewing protocols.
- Gun stolen from Roseburg High School
- Roseburg High custodian on leave after his gun was stolen from school closet
- Turf work delayed at Roseburg High School
- Roseburg man arrested after stolen car recovered
- Gun violence threat at Roseburg High School leaves the community shaken up
- Department of Corrections inmate found sleeping at Roseburg High School
- Roseburg High School student arrested after threat found
- Roseburg High School athletes learning core values through sports
- Skilled to Work: Roseburg High School brings back auto shop
- Runaway cow put down in Roseburg High School parking lot