UPDATE: The cause of Monday’s train derailment near Northwest Expressway and Chambers in southwest Eugene is still unclear, according to a Union Pacific spokesman.
Five railroad cars were involved. No one was hurt, and no fuel or oil was spilled.
The derailment, which happened around 8 p.m., was not on a main line. No other trains were affected.
Railroad officials said there was no damage to the tracks, and all of the cars have been put back on the rails.
EUGENE, Ore. -- A train derailed near the intersection of Northwest Expressway and Chambers in Eugene on Monday evening.
Residents of the Expressway Safespot homeless camp said they heard more noise than usual in the rail yard.
When they came out to investigate, they were shocked to see multiple cars off the tracks.
Campsite Coordinator William Chapple said they usually hear loud clanking and engines in the yard all night, so they know what the yard usually sounds like.
However, around 9 p.m., residents realized something wasn't right.
“We heard the usual crashing and banging for a while, as they usually link-up cars," Chapple said. "We heard a stuttering, kind of, thud, thud, thud, thud, which is abnormal for their normal activities. So we came running out to check, and we saw one of the cars already jackknifed and being pushed backwards and this huge cloud of dust.”
Multiple axels were laying around the rail yard, with one jackknifed train car and a box car with all of the wheels taken off of it.
KEZI 9 News has not received any word from railroad officials at this time.
- UPDATE: Train derails in southwest Eugene
- Bus with passengers on derailed train expected in Eugene
- 2 dead in southwest Eugene
- Expert weighs in on Amtrak train derailment
- Train carrying lumber derails near Albany
- Park in Southwest Eugene officially opens
- Three confirmed dead in Amtrak train derailment in Washington
- Two rail advocates killed in Amtrak train derailment
- Urgent plea for blood donations after Amtrak train derailment
- Police close streets after log train derails in Salem