EUGENE, Ore. - Icy roads were to blame for several car accidents Monday and the slick conditions are expected to continue.
Here are some tips to stay safe on the roads from the Oregon Department of Transportation (ODOT):
- Pay close attention to bridges and ramps. They are the first to freeze and the last to defrost in freezing temperatures.
- Accelerate and decelerate slowly.
- If you are driving through the mountains, carry chains and be prepared to use them.
- Increase your driving distance from the car in front of you to 8-10 seconds.
- Put your full attention on the road. No distractions!
- Tips for driving safely on icy roads
- Tips for safe driving on slick roads
- Drivers prepare for icy roads
- Icy roads prompt school delays
- Icy roads may cancel Springfield schools
- Icy roads expected for Tuesday morning commute
- Icy road causes two crashes in Springfield
- Concerns over icy conditions
- Lebanon teen dies in crash on icy road outside Scio
- ODOT tips for winter weather driving