TIGARD, Ore. (AP) — An off-duty police officer from Tigard was critically injured when authorities say an intoxicated driver slammed into his car.
The Tigard Police Department says Officer Matthew Barbee was driving home from his patrol shift in the early morning hours Thursday.
Barbee had car trouble and pulled over to wait for help.
While he was waiting inside his car, an intoxicated driver slammed into his car from behind.
Barbee is in critical condition at a local trauma center.
"Matt is one of the most kind hearted people I know, he would give you the shirt off of his back," said Barbee's wife, Sherrie.
The department says the driver remained at the scene and charges are pending.
The person's name was not released.
- Tigard police officer critically injured in crash involving drunk driver
- Police: Drunk driver involved in late-night crash
- Alleged drunk driver crashes into Roseburg YMCA
- 2 Portland police officers and driver injured in crash
- Drunk driver plows through fence
- Quran instructor from Corvallis faces sex abuse charges in Tigard
- Ex-Tigard teacher accused of sexually abusing 2 students
- Alleged drunk driver crashes into home in Douglas County
- Eugene Police searching for driver involved in hit & run crash
- Police identify driver in crash that injured 2 Eugene police officers