SPRINGFIELD, Ore-- Many people are saying that it is clear the gym needed to come down after a support beam failed Wednesday and the roof fell in completely Friday.
Jeff Emmett with Hyland construction said it did not take much work from their crews to get the wall that was supporting the roof to come down.
"The roof structure that collapsed yesterday was dangling off the next beam in . As soon as we put the bucket on those outside walls it collapsed. It was a very precarious situation, very unsafe," said Emmett.
He said he didn't personally look over the other structures at Thurston, but Springfield school district spokesperson Jenna McCulley sent out a release Friday saying all other facilities in the Springfield school district have been assessed and deemed safe.
She says she is grateful for the community response and how quickly contractors were able to turn around and begin repairs
"The fact that they're out here working through their weekend just shows our community's support for schools," McCulley said.
McCulley also says the goal is to have a functioning gym completed by this Fall.
- Thurston begins repairs on gym
- Thurston gym roof collapses; board declares emergency
- Two-A-Days: Thurston
- Support beam collapses at Thurston High gym due to heavy snow
- Thurston High to start year without new gym after roof collapse
- Thurston community gathers for vigil
- Thurston wins 5A state title
- Blitzing the Preseason: Thurston Colts
- Gym memberships spike as many begin New Year resolution
- Thurston High School student designs Nike shoes