SPRINGFIELD, Ore. -- Thousands gathered in Springfield to celebrate the Fourth of July at the 16th annual Light of Liberty Celebration.
The celebration at Island Park was presented by the Springfield Utility Board. Visitors enjoyed food, games, live music and of course a firework show.
Vietnam veteran Richard Thompson said he was looking forward to see Starshiphealding during the festival and said the holiday serves as a reminder to what he fought for.
"It's a celebration of our whole country, not just one small area," Thompson said. "Being a veteran I take it really seriously, my country means a lot to me."
Meredith Clark with the Springfield Utility Board said the celebration also serves as a fundraiser for Project Share, a payment assistance program that helps low- and fixed-income Springfielders struggling with wintertime heating emergencies.
"You come out in the warm weather and it helps people with their heating bills," Clark said.
Clark said the raised enough money to help over 250 families last year.
- Thousands celebrate Fourth of July in Springfield
- Creswell Fourth of July Parade draws thousands
- Fireworks 2019: Where to celebrate Fourth of July
- Firefighters urge caution on Fourth of July
- Fireworks or fines? What to know for Fourth of July in Eugene and Springfield
- Thousands attend annual Springfield Christmas Parade
- First responders urge fireworks safety on Fourth of July
- Illegal fireworks keep Eugene police busy on Fourth of July
- Eugene and Springfield communities celebrate Veterans Day
- Springfield woman celebrates her 100th birthday