CORVALLIS, Ore. -- This week's tailgate spotlight adds a bit of history to the hot dogs and beer, as alumni from all eras came back to Corvallis to catch up.
It was a reunion like no other. Former OSU players and coaches returned to Reser Stadium where it all started.
Many of the players reunited for the first time in years, but it's their appearances that's catching people off sides.
Former OSU player Yvenson Bernard said, “Just kind of seeing how some of them let themselves go, some of them haven’t, offensive lineman seemed to slim up a bit looking like basketball players. It’s just the whole thing in general is just so cool. To see a different perspective and having them talk about something outside of football, you know their careers and stuff like that."
A group of three former Beavers started this tailgate 3 years ago with one goal in mind.
Former OSU player Randy Holmes said, “It was a good way for people to come and feel comfortable and feel like they have a place to go and if they brought their families then they knew they could come to a game and be a part of what they were years ago. That was something that was missing."
Although their lives have taken them down different paths, Saturday’s will always be for the game they love -- college football.
Hall of Fame head coach Dennis Erickson says things are a lot different from how they used to be.
"When I first got to Oregon State there weren’t quite as many fans here and the stadium was a bit different," Erickson said.
However, after all these years the Beaver pride is still as strong as ever.
“We know we didn’t win but we know we made some great friendships along the way and I think that’s the most important thing to remember. It wasn’t about the game it really wasn’t. It was about the people you meet, the contacts you meet and the friendships you make with people who will last you your lifetime,” Holmes said.
- Tailgate Spotlight: Reunion like no other
- Tailgate Spotlight: Mesher's magic ribs
- Tailgate Spotlight: The Fire Duck
- Tailgate Spotlight: Generations in the making
- Tailgate Spotlight: Gascho's truck brings in hundreds of fans
- Tailgate Spotlight: Lane Harris and the West Virginia Trailer
- Tailgate Spotlight: Oregon Duck fans take tailgating to a new level
- Tailgating changes at Autzen
- NICU reunion held at Sacred Heart Medical Center
- Eugene City Council OKs extended tailgating time at Autzen Stadium