SUTHERLIN, Ore. -- In an effort to better distribute increasing class sizes, the Sutherlin School District will be reconfiguring grade levels at three schools, officials announced Friday.
The school board approved the changes on Monday. Starting in the 2019-2020 school year kindergarten through second grade will be at East Primary, grades three to five will be at West Intermediate and grades six to eight will be at Sutherlin Middle School.
Currently, East Primary is home to kindergarten through third grade and school officials say it’s near capacity. West Intermediate currently has students in fourth through sixth grade.
As part of the changes, officials said an additional Special Education teacher will also allow the district to better serve students.
“Our educational leaders and School Board members agree this shift will allow staff to better meet the needs of our students by providing them with a more productive academic experience,” Superintendent Terry Prestianni said.
School officials also expect the changes to ease parking issues at the east school, and will place students with more developmentally-appropriate grade levels.
Administrators met with teachers, parents and community members leading up to the decision to reconfigure the schools, and the district plans to hold meetings with parents to discuss strategies for a smooth transition.
“We are grateful for the support of our students, parents, staff and community as we undergo this process to ensure our children are receiving the best education possible,” Presitanni said.
- Sutherlin School District shifting grade levels next school year
- Sutherlin School District looks to upgrade facilities
- Sutherlin High School receives award
- Winter storm damages Sutherlin high school gymnasium
- Sutherlin holding community forum on school bond
- Construction delays Monroe Grade School start
- Sutherlin High School is honored by Special Olympics Oregon
- Sutherlin man accused of selling meth, heroin near school
- Sutherlin voters to decide $22M school bond in May
- Sutherlin High School hosts 6th annual Veterans Visitation Day