SWEET HOME, Ore. – A high school student was taken into custody Tuesday in Sweet Home after district officials said they brought a loaded gun to school.
Officials said in a Facebook post that students told them a student may have brought a handgun to school.
During the incident, the high school was briefly placed under lockdown, and the junior high was under lockout as a precaution.
Police conducted a search, and a 15-year-old boy was taken into custody. He faces charges of possession of a firearm in a public building, unlawful possession of a firearm and carrying a concealed weapon. Police said he will be taken to the Linn-Benton Juvenile Detention Center.
Moving forward, classes are back in session. Added security is in place.
The district thanked police for their swift response and said student safety is their top concern.
- Student brings gun to school in Sweet Home
- Cougar killed in Sweet Home
- Sweet Home student intended to shoot a classmate, police say
- Sweet Home police arrest teen in connection with school threat
- Virus spreading through Sweet Home schools, district warns
- Sweet Home Police make identity theft arrest
- OSP trooper honored in Sweet Home
- Police investigate crash in Sweet Home
- Man dead after shooting near Sweet Home
- Two-A-Days: Sweet Home Huskies