SPRINGFIELD, Ore. -- A patrol officer for the Springfield Police Department is under a criminal investigation and has been on paid administrative leave for six months.
Chief Richard Lewis declined an on-camera interview but said officer Ryan Stone has been on paid leave since April. Lewis said Stone has been with the department for three years but did not offer many details surrounding Stone's leave.
While other Springfield officials would not disclose why Stone is under investigation, the city recently provided internal affairs reports to defense attorneys and prosecutors in Lane County about the case.
KEZI 9 News put in public records request with the city of Springfield, but as of Thursday morning, our request was still under review by the city attorney.
The Lane County District Attorney said the case is now in the hands of Linn County prosecutors because of a conflict of interest. Richard Wijers, a deputy district attorney for Linn County, said the case is under review as they process submitted materials and gather further information.
"A charging decision will be made once all materials have been reviewed," Wijers said. "Which I estimate to be within the next few weeks."
Before working for Springfield police, Stone worked with the Eugene Police Department. In 2013, he was recognized by the state as the top DUII enforcement officer.
"To be recognized as the one city officer who is seen as above all others was very humbling. It was quite an honor," Stone said in a 2013 interview with KEZI.
KEZI has also requested records from the Eugene Police Department to see if Stone was disciplined while working there. Chief Lewis wouldn't say if he was aware of any previous disciplinary actions against Stone before he was hired by his department.
- Springfield police officer under criminal investigation
- Springfield police investigate suspicious device
- Oregon State Police spokesman under criminal investigation
- Springfield police investigating bomb threat at Gateway Street post office
- Springfield fire under investigation
- Police investigate fatal crash in Springfield
- Springfield police investigate foster child's death
- Springfield police investigating death of 13-year-old
- Springfield police officer seeks $250K in lawsuit against city
- Former Springfield police chief vouches for officer on leave