SPRINGFIELD, Ore.-- Two Springfield Police officers were recovering Sunday night after an altercation with a felon. The officers suffered hand injuries and blood exposure, but are expected to be OK.
Police got the call around 1:30 Sunday afternoon.
They say Iosefa Brown was at the gateway area Motel 6 when motel staff told police he was cruising the parking lot and refusing to leave.
When officers arrived and tried to question Brown, he rolled up his window. An officer broke the window and got control of Brown's keys. A struggle ensued and police say Brown tried to reach for a pistol on his waistband. Police say he wasn't able to reach it because his jacket was in the way and he couldn't move it with one hand.
While one officer controlled Brown's left arm through the window, another held lethal cover on brown, should he get the weapon and pose a serious threat.
Brown was tased multiple times during the struggle with no effect. Police suspect he was under the influence of meth.
"He was impervious to pain, it would appear," Lt. Scott McKee said. "They used a taser on him, they used a lot of blunt strikes to try and get him out of that car and get him away from that firearm."
Police eventually got Brown out of his car.
We're told he has an extensive criminal history of narcotics and weapons related offenses and is wanted as a fugitive for firearm related offenses.
Lieutenant McKee with Springfield Police said this is the perfect example of a seemingly benign call which escalated to a struggle for officers' lives.
As of Sunday, police were still not sure why Brown was looking for the woman at the Motel 6. We're told he wasn’t a customer there.
Brown was also transported to the hospital, where he was treated for soft tissue injuries sustained during his arrest.
- Springfield officers hurt in felony arrest
- Springfield man arrested on felony drug charges
- Teens arrested on felony charges after vandalism at Springfield school
- Springfield police officer under criminal investigation
- Prosecutor: Springfield officer won't be charged
- Suspect in Springfield officer-involved shooting identified
- Arrest made in Springfield hoax bomb case
- Police arrest Springfield man after armed standoff
- UPDATE: Springfield Teacher Arrested for DUII
- Springfield police make arrest in 2015 murder