SPRINGFIELD, Ore. -- When a Springfield police officer attempted to stop a vehicle for a minor traffic violation Monday morning, the driver led the officer on a chase before crashing his vehicle and fleeing the scene, police said.
Hiram Samuel Cunningham, 35, was not injured and was lodged at the Lane County Jail. He faces multiple charges, including attempt to elude, reckless driving, hit and run, resisting arrest, delivery and possession of methamphetamine and heroin, second-degree criminal tresspass and two outstanding warrants.
Just before 5 a.m. the officer tried to stop a blue 2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer. Police said Cunningham failed to yield and sped away south on 53rd Street and then West on Daisy Street.
Police pursued Cunningham West on Daisy Street until he failed to stop at a stop sign on the intersection of Daisy Street and South 42nd Street.
Cunningham continued through the intersection and crashed into parked cars in the 4100 block of Virginia Avenue. Five cars were involved in the crash, including the suspect's car.
According to police, Cunningham was the only person in the car and he fled on foot.
A K-9 unit quickly located Cunningham hiding in the bed of an area resident’s pickup truck.
Police said Cunningham was found to be in possession of meth, heroin and packaging materials. However, there is no indication Cunningham was under the influence of drugs or alcohol at the time of the incident.
Cunningham may have fled in an attempt to avoid arrest on two outstanding warrants, police said.
- Man leads Springfield police on a pursuit, crashes, and then flees
- Stolen car leads to police pursuit, manhunt
- Police investigating crash near Springfield
- High-speed police pursuit ends in arrest in Springfield
- OSP: Winston man crashes twice during police pursuit in Azalea
- Salem man arrested for leading police on chase in Springfield
- Police: Missing Springfield man found
- Police investigate fatal crash in Springfield
- Springfield carjacking leads to serious crash on I-5
- Wanted woman facing charges after Springfield pursuit ends in fiery crash