LANE COUNTY, Ore. – A Springfield man is dead as after a logging accident about 20 miles east of Mapleton.
The Lane County Sheriff's Office said Arturo Toral-Pacheco, 35, was working in the area near the junction of Highway 126 and Highway 36.
Emergency responders first got reports of the incident just before 9 a.m. Tuesday. Investigators are still working to determine the events leading up to the incident, but they said it appears Toral-Pacheco likely fell from an elevated area.
Lane County Sheriff's deputies and Siuslaw Valley Fire and Rescue were first to arrive. Eugene Mountain Rescue, Lane County Ground Search and Rescue and specialized units of Lane County Search and Rescue later responded with several volunteers to assist with the recovery as Toral-Pacheco's body was about 200 yards down a steep embankment.
The Lane County Sheriff's Office will be conducting the death investigation with the Lane County Medical Examiner's Office.
- Springfield man dies in logging accident
- Coos Bay man dies in logging accident
- Man killed in Douglas County logging accident
- Environmental groups sue BLM to stop Springfield logging project
- Two rescued after logging accident in Douglas County
- Elderly man dies in boating accident
- Driver dies in crash in Springfield
- Seneca Jones Timber Company discusses logging plans
- Electronic logging devices hold truckers accountable
- Tenmile man dies in industrial accident near Winston