Springfield home catches fire from furnace malfunction

A Springfield resident warns other homeowners that checking your heater could be the difference between staying warm and starting a fire.

Posted: Dec 29, 2019 4:31 PM
Updated: Dec 29, 2019 6:32 PM

SPRINGFIELD, Ore.-- A Springfield resident is warning other homeowners that checking your heater could be the difference between staying warm and starting a fire after an incident Sunday.

Sunday morning Jean Gillard was in her Nancy Avenue home watching the news when she says she started smelling smoke.

The smoke was coming through the ceiling vents after the furnace in her garage caught fire.

Gillard said once she turned up the heater a few degrees in the morning, the wiring in the furnace malfunctioned and a fire erupted.

"So I walked to the back room and realized that the smoke was so black and heavy, that, that's when we called 911," said Gillard. 

With Eugene Springfield Fire units lining the streets, many neighbors woke up to all the commotion.

"I looked outside and I noticed my neighbor's house, they had all the doors and windows open and smoke was just billowing out of the house," said neighbor Casey Lasley.

 With minimal smoke damage to the interior of the home, Gillard says they are still able to reside in the home while repairs are made.

Article Comments

Eugene
Overcast
44° wxIcon
Hi: 48° Lo: 36°
Feels Like: 38°
Corvallis
Overcast
42° wxIcon
Hi: 48° Lo: 33°
Feels Like: 37°
Roseburg
Overcast
48° wxIcon
Hi: 49° Lo: 38°
Feels Like: 44°
North Bend
Overcast
47° wxIcon
Hi: 48° Lo: 38°
Feels Like: 41°
KEZI Radar
KEZI Temperatures
KEZI Planner

LATEST FORECAST

Community Events