SPRINGFIELD, Ore. -- A Springfield family said their Easter Sunday was destroyed when they were racially targeted during an argument, and it was all caught on camera.
KEZI 9 News spoke with the Matthews family, who said they were sitting down for a meal on Sunday when they heard racial slurs being shouted outside.
Springfield police said Kevin and Jessica Hollinger were walking around Oakdale Avenue yelling slurs when the Matthews heard them.
The Matthews said they walked outside, and that's when they became the target.
"She approached me in my face and started saying it multiple times," said Rashonda Matthews, one of the victims.
Police said Kevin Hollinger had a knife tucked under his shirt during the confrontation, but Rahtavian Matthews said he didn't see him take it out.
"We were kinda like, 'What the heck?' trying to tell them to stop, and as soon as I pulled out my phone 'cause it was pretty funny and kinda crazy, she said she was going to call the cops on me," Rahtavian said.
Police said Jessica Hollinger walked onto the Matthews property and chest bumped one of them. In the video, you can see the Matthews asking Jessica Hollinger to leave their property, and she pulled down her pants.
"We laughed cause like, 'Wow,' like, 'OK, something's not right with you," Rashonda said.
The Matthews said they are no strangers to these types of attacks.
"Unfortunately it exists here," Rashonda said.
"Just something that shouldn't happen, and I don't know," Rahtavian said. "I have seen it a couple times here 'cause I'm from California and so it does happen, it really does happen."
The Matthews want to send a strong message.
"Try harder," Rashonda said. "You know, we bleed the same color. We are no different. I work every day, put in a good 9 to 5, take care of my kids. I don't feel like I should be treated different because of my skin color."
Police said Jessica Hollinger was charged with harassment, disorderly conduct and trespassing.
Kevin Hollinger was charged with disorderly conduct and felon in possession of a restricted weapon for carrying a knife.
- Springfield family falls victim to racist tirade on Easter
- Families of Springfield crash victims speak out
- Pennsylvania teacher on leave without pay after racist tirade recorded by parent
- Eugene Springfield Fire rescues resident after falling
- Bystanders help save Springfield family from fire
- Springfield family displaced after apartment fire
- Police release names of Springfield triple-shooting victims
- Springfield business collects supplies for Camp Fire victims
- Springfield trucking company brings supplies to Camp Fire victims
- Police release victims' names in fatal Springfield crash