SPRINGFIELD, Ore. -- Churchgoers at the Springfield Faith Center are mourning the loss of their lead pastor, Dave Lanning, who passed away Sunday after suffering a heart attack.
Lanning was a pastor at the Faith Center for 25 years.
Steve Erickson, a friend and a former pastor, said Lanning's impact went beyond the church walls. He said Lanning was involved with mentoring young people in Springfield, he was president of the rotary club for a year, and he was always calling the city to see what he could do to make Springfield a better community.
To Erickson, Lanning was more just a pastor and his boss, Lanning was a friend.
"I would consider him a best friend," Erickson said. "We’ve been through a lot. If I introduced him as my boss, he would give me the look, and I would go, 'This is my good friend Dave.'"
There will be a memorial service for Lanning at the Eugene Faith Center on Saturday, Feb. 8 at 11 a.m.
Lanning is survived by his wife Pam, four children, and five grandchildren. He was 66 years old.
"When I think of a job well done, it’s him," Erickson said.
- Churchgoers shocked by lead pastor's sudden death
- Zoo heartbroken over sudden death of Lily the elephant
- Trooper's DUII arrest shocks neighbors
- Shooting suspect appears in court; friends shocked
- Kate Spade's husband says she battled demons but death was complete shock
- New study finds shocking results about teens and sexting
- Fire near Talking Water Gardens shocks Albany-area residents
- Former Oregon youth pastor to stand trial this month
- Ex-youth Oregon pastor pleads guilty in girls' video case
- Central Oregon jury convicts Gresham pastor of sex abuse