SPRINGFIELD, Ore. -- The Northwest College of Beauty is holding a fundraiser for a Eugene burn victim.
Kayla Williams, 25, is still recovering in a Portland Hospital after friends said she suffered burns on 75 percent of her body.
Williams was injured back in December when police said she and her fiance built a fire on a barbecue grill by pouring gasoline on top. Officials said a bottle filled with gas melted, catching her clothes on fire then igniting another gas can, which caused an explosion.
Rachel Franklin of Northwest College of Beauty said Williams was taking classes with them and that she could be in the hospital for months.
"We're all kind of like a family here, so it kind of hit all of us pretty hard mostly since we know she just had a little baby about a year ago she'll be one in February," Franklin said.
The Northwest College of Beauty will be holding the fundraiser for Williams on Feb. 3 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. They will be offering haircuts and other services with all of the proceeds going to her and her family.
Student Brittenie Pongah said she knows that her recovery will continue long after the scars are healed. She hopes to use hers kills she to make Williams and other burn victims feel their best
"Give her that boost of confidence to ignore whatever people have to say." Pongah said. "I just hope she overcomes that."
Friends have also set up a GoFundMe account for Williams. To donate, click here.
- Springfield beauty school plans fundraiser for student injured in explosion
- Springfield beauty schools holds fundraiser for student injured in explosion
- Explosion severely injures Eugene woman
- Springfield school district provides counseling to students
- Springfield students "Walk and Roll" to school
- Springfield students spend day at outdoor school
- Springfield students enjoy bike rodeo
- Lane County Sheriff's Office plans K-9 fundraiser
- Springfield students accused of bringing marijuana brownies to school
- Springfield Public Schools takes step to keep students safer