SPRINGFIELD, Ore. -- Springfield Public Schools is taking a big step to protect their students this year by implementing a lock system to the front door of every school.
All 22 schools in the district will now have an extra layer of security.
The door with the lock system will be used as the only point of entry in every school. That door will be locked from the outside and will be accompanied by an intercom system. The front office of each school will be able to let visitors in by unlocking the door.
The idea first came from the newly constructed Hamlin Middle School building. When Hamlin was constructed, it came with the latest in technology, which included the lock system. Staff with the district said students and teachers expressed how safe they felt with this security in place, and staff felt that everyone in the district deserved to feel that safety.
"In order to create the optimal learning environment, which is really our fundamental goal, we have to make sure that everyone feels secure in their space,” said Jenna McCulley, a spokesperson with Springfield Public Schools.
McCulley said the security system should be on every school within the first few weeks of classes starting. The system will include a camera in schools where the front office doesn't have visual access to the front door. She said parents will hear from their individual schools about the specific timing of the installation.
The money for this project is coming from 2014 bond proceeds. McCulley said there had been money designated to re-key and create new locks throughout the district, and they're using the funds leftover from that for this new security system.
- Springfield Public Schools takes step to keep students safer
- Springfield wants to make Northbank Path safer
- Springfield Public Schools takes on nearly 20 summer projects
- Springfield Public Schools seeks input on Student Success Act funds
- Springfield Public Schools presents Student Success Act plan
- Springfield asks for input to make Main Street safer
- Springfield Public Schools starts recruiting teachers
- Springfield students take part in community cleanup
- Springfield school district provides counseling to students
- Springfield students "Walk and Roll" to school