EUGENE, Ore. -- The Lane Education Service District is holding a Trades Academy Open House Thursday.
The Trades Academy is a 6-week program that helps prepare young people who are interested in jobs in construction, metal work, HVAC or other trades. It helps get them ready for further education and eventually a career.
“With the default system at the high-school level being college prep, what we’re trying to do is reinvigorate the system so that students can better understand, better be aware of and better prepare for these really awesome opportunities that are out there that aren’t just going to a four-year school,” Peter Lauf with Lane ESD said.
The open house is Dec. 13 from 5 to 6 p.m. at the Springfield Training Center on Pierce Parkway.
Trades like carpentry, plumbing and electrical work are facing a big problem -- as Baby Boomers retire, no one is there to take their spots. KEZI 9 News is partnering with employers in our area to address the lack of workers for skilled jobs. To learn more, click here.
- Skilled to Work: Lane Education Service District holding open house
- Corvallis School District holds open house for concept designs
- Skilled to Work: Lane Community College offers drone program
- Skilled To Work: Bethel School District CTE Programs
- Skilled to Work: School districts discuss benefits of CTE programs
- Camp Wilani holds open house
- Lane County awarded drivers education grant
- Skilled to Work: Roto Rooter struggles to find skilled workers
- ODOT holds open house on Beltline projects
- Lane Transit District launches Transit Tomorrow