SPRINGFIELD, Ore. -- After nearly 49 years, the beloved Skate World in Springfield is closing its doors for good.
Hundreds of people were lined up on Friday for one last skate.
Terrill Purvis, the general manager of Skate World, said the owners of the property want to use the space for something else, so they're closing their doors.
Gavin Holloway, one of the skaters who attended the afternoon skate, told KEZI he’s going to miss the Springfield gem.
"It's a pretty great place, it's definitely made a lot of memories for all the kids that have lived around here,” Holloway said. “Most everybody that's been here has always loved it. It's just a bummer that it's going to be closing down."
Purvis said the owners hope to find another location for Skate World in the area.
- Skate World hosts last skate session
- Skate World is still up for sale
- Skate World in Springfield shutting down after nearly 50 years
- U.S. figure skating regional championship returns to Eugene
- Suspicious man chases teen at Cal Young Skate Park
- City of Albany turns off power to skate park to solve homeless problem
- Eugene hosts world largest mushroom festival
- Oregon special legislative session begins Monday
- Jeff Sessions out as attorney general