SPRINGFIELD, Ore. -- Officials at the Greenhill Humane Society said they are willing to support Springfield Animal Control anyway they can after they asked a woman to surrender most of her 80 Bengal cats.
Brian Austin with Springfield Animal Control said the cat owner is working with them voluntarily, and they are reaching out to shelters locally and regionally. She is expected to surrender the majority of the cats in two to three weeks.
Megan Brezovar of Greenhill Humane Society said in many cases like this, the pet owners love and care for the animals, but once the animals start breeding, they get overwhelmed and don't reach out for help until it's too late. Brezovar said even though they currently have more than 180 cats at their shelter and foster care network, they're willing to take in some of the Bengals once they are surrendered.
"It's definitely going to be difficult, but we have done it before," Brezovar said. "We've had three hoarding cases that we've dealt with this summer, and we have been doing a great job of finding homes and making sure they are all taken care of."
Brezovar said if any of the Bengals come to Greenhill they will be fixed and undergo other medical checkups and screenings before being put up for adoption. She hopes all of the cats get spayed or neutered before they get a new home.
"These 80 cats are coming from two cats, one male and one female," Brezovar said. "So these animals are all related, and it's really important for people to understand that. They need to spayed and neutered. They should not be used for breeding."
Brezovar also has expert advice for anyone considering adopting these Bengal cats. She said they are not like ordinary house cats and can be extremely active and require lots of attention.
The city of Springfield has offered to help find the cats new homes. People interested in adopting one of the cats can email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Greenhill Humane Society gets ready to help find 80 cats new homes
- Adoption fees waived at Greenhill Humane Society
- Greenhill Humane Society to begin construction
- Greenhill Humane Society hosts annual Kitten Shower
- Greenhill Humane Society making progress on renovation
- Greenhill Humane Society holds pet adoption event, promotion
- 10-year-old author raises money for Greenhill Humane Society
- Greenhill Humane Society prepares for its biggest fundraiser of the year
- State Police investigate Oregon Humane Society officers
- Springfield Animal Control asks woman to surrender 80 Bengal cats