EUGENE, Ore. -- Even though it's only a few letters, changing South Eugene High School's team name from Axemen to The Axe will cost thousands of dollars.
The spokesperson with the 4J School District said it's estimated at a little more than $10,000. That pays for one-time purchases like the gym banner.
Other items, like some team uniforms, will also have to be changed, but the 4J School District Spokesperson said that's not a new cost.
"Most of the items on which the Axemen name appears, are actually items that are replaced or replenished over time; stationary needs to be replaced when it runs out...uniforms are replaced every few years. So overtime, those materials would be replenished or replaced no matter what the team name is," said Kerry Delf, with the 4J Schoold District.
Historic items like trophies and yearbooks will stay the same.
Some students said they're happy that the name is similar to their old one, but said they didn't think the change and the cost involved was necessary.
For more information on the team name change and the cost, click here.
- SEHS team name change to cost $10,000
- New petition created to keep SEHS Axemen mascot
- 4J seeks input on SEHS mascot name, The Axemen
- SEHS students walk out over sexual assault allegations
- Goodwill offering $10,000 reward to find thief
- Lane Arts Council receives $10,000 learning grant
- Man who tried to rape teen outside SEHS sentenced to 5 years
- Remembering comrades puts SEHS grad at ease when looking back on war
- Community members pack more than 10,000 meals for hungry children
- Special Report: Homeless Camp Costs