ROSEBURG, Ore. -- A 23-year-old man in Roseburg claims he accidentally shot another man in November 2017. Deputies arrested the man after his lawyer said he "wished to come forward."
The Douglas County Sheriff's Office said they were called out to reports of a person suffering from a gunshot wound on Temple Brown Road on Nov. 17, 2017.
When deputies arrived they found Josman Cereceres suffering from a gunshot wound. The 23-year-old Portland man was taken to the hospital where he later died.
John Walker Adams told deputies that Cereceres had been playing with a gun and accidentally shot himself. Investigators initially believed him.
In early December, deputies met with Adams' lawyer after learning that he wanted to change his story. Adams claims he was the one who accidentally shot Cereceres.
Deputies said Adams and Cereceres were both playing with the gun when Adams loaded the gun and shot Cereceres.
On Jan. 4, Adams was arrested at a home on Carnes Road in Roseburg. He is facing manslaughter and tampering with evidence charges.
- Roseburg man claims fatal shooting was an accident, officials arrest him
- 2 arrested in Roseburg after fatal shooting in Salem
- Roseburg man arrested after standoff
- Roseburg police investigate shooting
- Police investigating fatal accident
- Roseburg shooting suspect arrested after K-9 search
- Roseburg man arrested after stolen car recovered
- Roseburg man arrested after armed standoff
- Man claims Roseburg dentist broke teeth and jaw
- Roseburg PD investigates fatal hit and run