ROSEBURG, OR. -- The Roseburg School Board will be discussing key components of two projects in the school district at a meeting on Wednesday evening.
At that board meeting, board members will decide between two bids to resurface the track and re-turf the football field, as well as get an update on a track that would encompass this entire field at Fir Grove Elementary.
The artificial turf field at the high school is a few years past its ten year life span, and has already had to be patched up in places.
The school board has $675,000 over the last several years to be able to afford this project.
The track is about two decades old and will be resurfaced as part of the turf project.
“Track resurfacing is part of this as well. They kind of go hand-in-hand,” said district COO Cheryl Northam. “So, we have plans to grind off and resurface the track that goes around the artificial turf field. The project for resurfacing the track is about one hundred eighty-one thousand dollars, and that’s going to come from our six hundred seventy-five set aside.”
If the project goes over the amount of money the district has set aside, they have the ability to withdraw some from the district maintenance fund as well.
At Fir Grove, the parent-teacher organization has been working to raise money over the last few years to create a paved walking path at the school to give students the ability to utilize the field in all seasons.
The PTO president said this will also let the special needs students get out and get some exercise.
“But we also have special needs students here that have limited mobility, or there’s not a lot of things for them to do on their recess or breaks,” said Megan Stufflebeam. “So, it’s going to open up the opportunity to have use that’s going to accommodate all students.”
Officials said as long as the progress continues on that turf field, as well as the track at Fir Grove, they should have both done by the beginning of next school year.
- Roseburg School Board to discuss new turf, track for upcoming school year
- Turf work delayed at Roseburg High School
- Corvallis High School replaces turf despite community backlash
- Bethel School Board discusses response to officer-involved shooting
- Two issues arise in Roseburg School District within last year
- Roseburg School District hit with ransomware attack
- Gun stolen from Roseburg High School
- School threat made towards Roseburg middle school, police investigating
- Roseburg middle school student arrested for school threat
- Roseburg school district looks for input on school boundary changes