ROSEBURG, Ore. -- The former Douglas County Library Headquarters is one step closer to reopening as the City of Roseburg Library.
The Roseburg City Council approved two agreements at their special meeting on Monday evening.
CORRECTION: The Douglas ESD's current building will become an Early Learning Center, also housing their Early Learning Offices.
A previous version of this story said the Douglas ESD's current building will be turned into a Head Start facility.
Those two agreements will allow the city and the Douglas Education Service District to cohabitate the library and open its doors once again.
The first agreement was a 99-year lease agreement with the ESD.
There are measures in it that would allow the service district to take over library operations if the city is not willing or able to do so in the future.
The second agreement has the city and Douglas ESD sharing renovation costs.
Roseburg City Manager Lance Colley said this partnership will be as beneficial to residents as it will be to the two parties.
“We are thrilled to have them, because this facility is bigger than what we needed," Colley said. "And they will be able to provide not only for their current administrative functions but for many years to come down there.”
City Councilor Brian Prawitz said he and the rest of the council are happy to see the city take this step forward to open the library once again.
“The county needs to be credited as well. They deeded this property to the city with some money as well," Prawitz said. "So, knock on wood, it’s going well. And we want to finish strong and never close the library again.”
Prawitz said remodeling work will begin by the end of June, and the building should be ready to move in sometime in October.
Douglas ESD Superintendent Michael Lasher told us their administrative offices will be moved to their portion of the library building.
Their current location would be used as a Head Start facility and house their Head Start offices as well.
- Roseburg City Council approves two agreements for library partnership
- Roseburg and Douglas ESD close to finalizing partnership for library
- Roseburg City Council approves renovations to City Hall
- Springfield City Council hears library feasibility study
- Eugene City Council approves payroll tax
- Springfield City Council votes to end jail agreement with ICE
- Roseburg City Council prepares an ordinance against "zombie homes"
- Douglas County voters approve two library districts
- Oregon Community Foundation grants $100,000 for Roseburg Library
- Bend City Council approves plans for OSU campus