ROSEBURG, Ore. -- To prepare kids for the future, the Roseburg High School Athletics Department is emphasizing three core values to all student athletes, in keeping with the mantra, ‘It takes us all to make the one.’
Athletics Director Russ Bolin met with his coaches over the summer, and they decided the three values of loyalty, integrity and relentless effort are what their athletes need to have to prepare for life.
“We just think it’s good for kids,” Bolin said. “You know, when we’re talking about those things, those are good life-long skills to learn. We feel like we have the best classroom to teach kids the skills to be successful in life. All of our coaches believe that. They’re great people.”
- Loyalty -- to teammates, themselves and getting to class and doing their assignments.
- Integrity -- making sure that athletes are doing what’s right, no matter where they are.
- Relentless effort -- to do those things at all times, and pushing themselves and others to work hard in school, athletics and life.
Roseburg athlete Zack Mandera said he’s already noticed a change in his teammates.
“You can kinda see a difference,” Mandera said. “Kids are wanting to show up every single day, you know. They aren’t staying out late doing dumb stuff. It’s kinda, you know, practices, games, it’s kinda just been more fun because everybody’s kinda just going for the same goal.”
Another athlete we talked to, Hannah Bartlett, said she believes these values will prepare each student athlete for the lives that lay ahead of them.
“It works really well because it prepares you for later on in life,” Bartlett said. “You might not do sports your whole life. I mean, you really probably won’t. I mean, for fun you can. But it teaches values you can use later on in your job, your workplace and working with others in general.”
Student athletes will be wearing shirts with those values printed on them to school on Fridays to continue the conversation about those core values and get them instilled in everyone at Roseburg High School.
- Roseburg High School athletes learning core values through sports
- Roseburg High students learning plant science hands-on
- Gun stolen from Roseburg High School
- Turf work delayed at Roseburg High School
- Arts integration program combines creativity with core curriculum in schools
- Roseburg High School student arrested after threat found
- Skilled to Work: Roseburg High School brings back auto shop
- Department of Corrections inmate found sleeping at Roseburg High School
- Beavers men's hoops returns experienced core, adds talented freshmen
- Students learning woodworking skills at Springfield High School