SUTHERLIN, Ore. -- Douglas County commissioners have sold land in the Sutherlin Industrial Park to a developer for $1.2 million.
The decision to sell the land was was made on Wednesday at the regular Douglas County Board of Commissioner’s meeting.
During that meeting, commissioners said the land near the intersection of Taylor Road and Page Street in Sutherlin was originally purchased by the county in 1991.
They said over the years, it has grown into a large wetlands area which can be developed if there is a planned project.
Jake Waddell, owner of Double R Powder Coating in the Sutherlin Industrial Park, said he was contacted by the developers a few months ago but hasn’t heard from them since.
He said he’s in favor of the potential resort.
“I think it’d be a good thing for a depressed little area,” Waddell said. “Sutherlin doesn’t really get the attention that it could. If they’re going to bring, you know -- I-5 being 50 yards off the back of the shop, it’d be a good thing if you get the advertisement in and get some income coming into the city of Sutherlin, Douglas County, Roseburg.”
However, he said if they want him to move, they’ll have to help him with a seamless transition.
“At the end of the day, I still have to go to work on Monday morning,” Waddell said. “If they make it to the point where they make us -- they want us out of here because they want the property, that’s fine. I don’t care where we open the doors and turn our ovens on, as long as we have that seamless transition for the guys, for the company.”
KEZI 9 News has reached out to county commissioners, Sutherlin city officials and Oregon Only Development but have not heard back at this time.
According to the Oregon Only website, the company plans to have the resort opened in 2021.
- Developer buys county land in Sutherlin, plans to build resort
- Sutherlin High School receives award
- Fire destroys home in Sutherlin
- Southeast Eugene land development sparks controversy in Lane County
- PacificSource to buy Symantec building in Springfield
- Sutherlin credit union robbed Friday night
- Students surprise Sutherlin Police with handmade card
- Sutherlin holding community forum on school bond
- Sutherlin Police receive speed enforcement grant
- Winter storm damages Sutherlin high school gymnasium